Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Wayne is gone

It is hard being four. Tonight was no exception for my Emme bear. Tonight she cried herself to sleep. It is one of those moments that tugs at a mother's heart. I taught tonight - my online class - EdPsy 556: Analysis of Advanced Instructional Technologies. It is the night where I keep myself hauled up in the basement in the 'study' to teach. My husband puts the kids to bed. And so it was to be tonight - except that the class ended early so I went upstairs to say good night to my babies. As I got to the first floor I could hear Emme sobbing - what was wrong? What was wrong with my Bear? And so I went up another flight to comfort my crying daughter. And so I tried as I wrapped my arms around her - telling her that things will be okay. And all she kept saying was "Wayne is gone". I didn't know what she was saying, but I stay to comfort her until I finally couldn't take it any more. "Wayne ? Who's Wayne" - "he's the one I loved best" - loved best, I thought? She's too young to love and now a broken heart? So - who was this Wayne. Was it someone at daycare? A new face, a new name I had somehow missed? It is always tough - thinking that you don't know exactly what is going on with your child's life in daycare. And so, I thought that Wayne was a new friend. I was convinced that I could help my child through this ordeal. And I planned my strategy. I was going to help her through this - the loss / moving of her friend Wayne. And so here I am tonight - as I write - determining how best to help my Emme mourn the loss of her "favorite friend" Wayne Newton - who was kicked off Dancing with the Stars. So what's a Mom to do? Well, I'm thinking of just having her send him some of her Dora undies ...

2 comments:

Auntie Phibian said...

Wayne Newton??!! Are you serious???
Oh my Lord...your children...

Auntie Phibian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.