Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lessons from a five year old

My Mary Evangeline - my Emme - is five today. Five - it seems like such a small number, but when I think of all that my Emme has learned and what she has taught me, I am amazed at how time can have such a huge impact, despite a relatively small number. Emme was born with determination. She arrived unexpectedly on April 15th - about 1 hour of labor and two pushes later - I was holding my darling little girl ... who exceeded our expectations as we were expecting a baby boy. Yes, our Emme was to be a boy -- at least that's what we were told by the ultrasound technician. I was okay with another boy - the practical side of me figured that another boy would be easy and cost effective in terms of a family. I did very little in preparing for the arrival of our baby - our Peter - because I figured we already had everything we needed. So - from the start - Emme was a surprise to us. Peter soon became Mary, much to the delight of her Yiayia. And for the past five years, she has continued to surprise me. She has surprised me with her confidence, with her creativity, with her beauty, and with her strong-willed love. Emme will always exceed expectations. Emme will show you that she is more than just a pretty face, more than just a sweet voice. She is Emme - proud, secure, and beautiful.

I'd like to say that she takes after her mother, but the realist in me understands that she epitomizes all that I wish I could be. She has a sense of self that is beyond words. She is okay with who she is and she knows what she wants and is not afraid to ask for it -- something I have never, despite my age, been able to master. In just five years, Emme has come to understand that what we expect in life is by our design what we want in life. And for us to achieve our wants and desires, we need to meet our own expectations, and not wait for others to rescue us. I knew this as she argued with the waiter at El Toro about not wanting to wear the sombrero because "really some kids just don't like it" ... she knew what she wanted and wasn't afraid to state her mind. In that moment, I was so proud of her - albeit I was so wishing that she would just put on the damn hat ... so I could take the gratuitous picture ... but, I was quickly appeased by my Lucas who decided that the sombrero was exactly what he needed to amuse himself after being scared by the six Hispanic busboys who decided to loudly sing to Emme "happy birthday"... and yet in that moment, I realized that my Emme will always continue to amaze me by all that she can teach me.

Emme has taught me that it's okay to wear a tiara and your best jewels on your birthday because if you don't treat yourself well, no one will. She has taught me that our creativity is one of the greatest gifts we are given by God and instead of being afraid of what our mind conjures up, we should embrace it and be empowered by it. Emme has taught me that birthdays are less about the wrapped presents and more about the fresh air and sunshine and flying a kite with a friend. She has taught me that even when there are "like a gizillion pieces" to the Polly Pocket swimming pool, patience and a kind word "I'm so proud of you Mom" will help build it. My Emme has taught me that it is okay not to be like everyone else or to worry about what everyone else thinks ...

But, probably the greatest lesson that my Emme has taught me is that life isn't always about what you expect, but about loving the unexpected and loving the way it warms your heart and stays in your soul - even when you say must say good-bye to another year.

Happy Birthday, my darling baby doll ....

No comments: